ESPN and the AAJA Sports Task Force offers a joint internship for sports journalism college students at ESPN (Bristol, CT) that will begin in the summer of 2020. The internship includes pay for qualified candidates. Applications will be submitted to ESPN from the AAJA Sports Task Force. ESPN, Inc. is the leading multinational, multimedia sports entertainment company featuring the broadest portfolio of multimedia sports assets with over 50 business entities. The company is based in Bristol, Conn., with approximately 4,000 employees (approximately 8,000 worldwide).
ESPN INTERNSHIP PROGRAM DETAILS
- Approximately June 8 - August 14, 2020 in Bristol, CT.
- This is a paid internship – 10 weeks, 40 hours per week – Pay rates are discussed during the interview process.
- Programming events hosted throughout the summer including: Intern Symposium, Speaker Events with ESPN leaders & networking with Recruiters for full-time positions and attendance at AAJA’s annual conference (2020 will be in Washington, D.C. July 29-Aug. 1, 2020).
- The ideal candidate will fill a Social Media internship at ESPN, but the awardee may also be considered for a Production internship.
- ESPN offers subsidized housing for non-local interns in Bristol, CT. Cost will be discussed during the interview.
- $3,500 stipend which can be used towards housing and travel.
The Social Media team provides social media coverage across Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. The ideal candidate will be an incredibly avid social media user who is able to thrive in a fast-paced, team environment with an unquenchable thirst for learning. The intern may craft posts that are optimized to engage on these social platforms, clip and edit video and create Photoshop images for posting across various platforms. The intern will work with social media colleagues to understand the strategy behind posting on ESPN social platforms and will learn how to apply news judgment and journalistic standards to the most important sports stories of the day.
- Must major in journalism, communications or a related field with an interest in pursuing a career in sports journalism.
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student within one year of graduation. Target graduation dates are May 2020, December 2020 or May 2021.
GENERAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Cover letter
- Official transcript
- Work samples
- AAJA membership is not required but is strongly encouraged. Student membership will be required for the selected candidate.
The deadline is January 10, 2020.